Tuesday, January 3, 2012

On Recent Epitaph Signings and Why the New Every Time I Die Album Will Rule

I'm noticing a trend with some of Epitaph Records' relatively recently signed bands and their new material. If I'm correct, Every Time I Die's Ex-Lives will be quite the face-melter.


Starting in maybe 2009, Epitaph began signing bands that were already well established and had a relatively large following. I've noticed that each of these bands released a "throwback" or "back-to-our-roots" album, which was then followed by an absolutely incredible a few years later.

The pop punk band New Found Glory started releasing some rather mediocre albums. Then they signed to Epitaph and released their throwback album Not Without a Fight in 2009, which was met with a very positive reception. But what was met with an even greater reception, was their follow up Radiosurgery released just a couple months ago. This was New Found Glory's attempt at blending their own pop punk style with early 1990s pop punk style, and although I haven't heard this album, apparently they pulled it off.

Then there's the post-hardcore band Thursday. After the mixed reception they received for 2006's A City by the Light Divided, they signed to Epitaph and released their throwback album Common Existence in 2009 which was met with much better reviews. Then in spring of 2011, Thursday released the critically acclaimed album (and my absolute favorite album of 2011) No Devolucion. The band spent their entire career hinting at this darker rock vibe that I called noir punk, but it wasn't until this album that this sound was fully flushed out.

I think you could technically include the Epitaph bands Alkaline Trio and Weezer into this list, but it might be too early to tell. Both bands released their own back-to-our-roots albums albums (This Addiction and Hurly, both in 2010) but the following albums were more like off-shoots that true follow-ups. Alkaline Trio's Damnesia was a collection of newly recorded acoustic versions of their songs, and Weezer's Death to False Metal was a rerecording of old material (and it was released through their old label Geffen).

In 2009, Epitaph released Every Time I Die's throwback album New Junk Aesthetic. Just like the other bands, this album followed an album with a pretty mixed reception: 2007's The Big Dirty. So will ETID continue the trend sent forth by the other examples?

Just this week, Epitaph began teasing Every Time I Die's new album Ex-Lives. First with a 20 second teaser video with an audio clip and completely random footage. Just this morning when I got out of the shower I was greeted with a full new song: "Underwater Bimbos from Outer Space". Fun fact: I'm still in my towel as I write this. I was too excited to waste time getting dressed!


Fan-filmed live footage of the song has been online for a couple months now, and it sounded, well... like it was fan-filmed live footage: all iPody and stuff. You're an internet kid, you know what I'm talking about. Anywho, this studio recording sounds incredible. If  "Underwater Bimbos from Outer Space" is any indication of where Ex-Lives is heading, then this will be one hell of an album.

Also it's just one song, so it's too early to tell if this album will follow suit with the trend I pointed out above. But I'm still excited to hear this album either way. Be sure to look out for an "I told you so" blog if it does end up being album that pushes the band's sound like the other albums I mentioned. Be sure to pick up Ex-Lives when it comes out on March 6, and be sure to ooooh and aaaaah over the track listing and cover art:


01. "Underwater Bimbos from Outer Space"
02. "Holy Book of Dilemma"
03. "A Wild, Shameless Plain"
04. "Typical Miracle"
05. "I Suck (Blood)"
06. "Partying Is Such Sweet Sorrow"
07. "The Low Road Has No Exits"
08. "Revival Mode"
09. "Drag King"
10. "Touch Yourself"
11. "Indian Giver"

Deluxe Edition Bonus Tracks
12. "Grudge Music"
13. "Business Casualty"
14. "Starve an Artist, Cover Your Trash"

No comments:

Post a Comment