Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Underoath to Split, Release Retrospective Comp


Today, Underoath have announced their intent to break up, going out with one final release titled Anthology 1999-2013. Details on this release and my thoughts after the break.


The album features 17 tracks that span their entire career, from their debut (and long out of print album) Act of Depression from 1999 all the way through 2010's Disambiguation. PLUS two newly recorded tracks.

So it sounds like it's got enough for new and old fans to appreciate. Even though I haven't really cared about this band since Define the Great Line came out, I might even pick this up to pay tribute to the band.

Personally, I think it would have been better if it included a DVD with footage spanning their entire career, and maybe a third disc with B-sides and unreleased tracks. Now THAT would be quite the way to go out.

The title is a little confusing. With a name like Anthology 1999-2013, one would assume the band existed between these dates, or the compilation features songs from these years. However, Underoath formed in 1997, and won't be releasing anything in 2013--or at least haven't announced anything for 2013.

Perhaps a farewell tour? Perhaps a final live album? Maybe the two new songs will be released as a single/EP thing?
  1. "Sunburnt" (NEW!)
  2. "Unsound" (NEW!)
  3. "In Division" (Disambiguation)
  4. "Catch Myself Catching Myself" (Disambiguation)
  5. "Paper Lung" (Disambiguation)
  6. "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures" (Lost in the Sound of Separation)
  7. "Too Bright To See, Too Loud To Hear" (Lost in the Sound of Separation)
  8. "In Regards To Myself" (Define the Great Line)
  9. "You're Ever So Inviting" (Define the Great Line)
  10. "Writing On The Walls" (Define the Great Line)
  11. "A Boy Brushed Red Living In Black And White" (They're Only Chasing Safety)
  12. "Reinventing Your Exit" (They're Only Chasing Safety)
  13. "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door" (They're Only Chasing Safety)
  14. "I've Got Ten Friends And A Crowbar That Says You Ain't Gonna Do Jack" (They're Only Chasing Safety)
  15. "When The Sun Sleeps" (The Changing of Times)
  16. "Cries Of The Past" (Cries of the Past)
  17. "Heart Of Stone" (Act of Depression)
The first time I heard of Underoath, they were opening for Thrice on their first tour in support of Vheissu back in 2005. The Bled were also on the bill. These were all bands I was very much into at the time.

Underoath's They're Only Chasing Safety had been out for over a year by this point. I gave it a chance, but didn't really care for it. But after seeing them live when they opened for Thrice, it really changed my mind about them. They brought a totally different energy to their live set that wasn't on their album.

They opened with the crowd favorite "It's Dangerous Business..." which completely took the entire 2,000+ audience by surprise, and the entire pit was a confusing tangle of people on the floor. Something I have only seen this one time in well over 100 concerts in my time.

After that I was REALLY into Define the Great Line once that came out, but then I couldn't really get into anything after that.

I bought Lost in the Sound of Separation and Disambiguation, but never really got into them even though I recognized that they definitely expanded their sound. I was actually just saying to myself I was actually kind of excited for a new Underoath album that could finally recapture what I liked about them in the first place. Unfortunately, that day may never come. Though these two final new tracks could pique my interest. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment