Friday, May 13, 2011

Red Fang's Milky Music Video for "Wires"

Very rarely do I watch a music video anymore. They had their time and place, but they just seem pointless now. Most of them are terrible and completely irrelevant to the song, when they should be visually complimenting the song in some way. I can't even remember the last time I sat through a FULL music video... years, maybe. But Red Fang's video for "Wires" absolutely made my day.

Fact: Indie bands today generally earn less than minimum wage. The opening of this video perfectly represents what I imagine it's like to earn dick doing what you love and living with your bandmates: a bunch of hair dudes chilling in a living room drinking beer, sifting through overdue bills and playing with gasoline-filled molitov cocktails.

But then, they stumble across a $5,000 check from Relapse Records to fund the making of a music video. Now, I'd really love to hear how accurate that figure is. I'm pretty sure that's about what some of the smaller labels fork out to fund the recording of a full-length album. That figure seems way higher than what I'd expect: (a) in the current state of the music industry (b) from an indie metal label in general and (c) for Red Fang of all bands.

Cover art for Red Fang's Murder the Mountains which 
features the song "Wires".

Don't get me wrong, they're a great little alt-sludge band who released the fantastic gem Murder the Mountains last month; but they have such a small fan base. I imagine the logic/business behind this video is that spending $5,000 on a short film will raise awareness for Red Fang and increase album/ticket sales -- hopefully resulting in a profit. As cool as this video is, and as great as Red Fang is, I just don't see that happening.

BUT ANYWHO, in the rest of the video, we see the band slowly pecking away at their cash they were given to make a video while tricking out a used  1979 Impala Station Wagon and buying things to smash with said motor vehicle. Among many other things, this includes 80 gallons of milk and a pinball machine. The cameo by Brian Posehn was pretty great too.

Unfortunately, it's not on YouTube yet so I cannot embed the video. But it's currently available on the Monster Energy website.

No comments:

Post a Comment