Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Best Year for Deathwish Inc to Date?

The year 2011 is shaping up to be a really great year for the indie hardcore label Deathwish Inc.

Deathwish is celebrating its tenth anniversary this year. I'm using the term "celebration" lightly here since thus far there hasn't been any formal acknowledgement of this event, but the point still stands. It's been ten years since the label formed in 2001, and in my eyes, they haven't really released many interesting albums or signed many interesting bands.

They've had some okay bands like Killing the Dream, 108, A Life Once Lost, Blacklisted, Integrity and Some Girls. My favorite Deathwish bands would have to be Doomriders and Trap Them, but I wouldn't really say I love either of these bands. To me, the label has always just been Jacob Bannon's little pet project. A hardcore label for hardcore kids playing in hardcore bands. Meh.

But 2011 has completely changed my mind about the label. They've finally diversified a little bit and signed some truly talented acts that don't just play your garden variety hardcore.

First up: Deafheaven. A totally bizarre signing for Deathwish, they're an atmospheric black metal band with influences of classic screamo. Originally formed as a two-piece band just for kicks in early 2010, Deafheaven recruited two new members and released their debut album Roads to Judah a year later followed by a US tour with KEN Mode. That's light speed for the music industry. Typically, hardcore bands spend many years playing garage shows before labels start to take notice. Deafheaven are already enjoying a relatively large amount of success and acclaim. I highly recommend legally obtaining their demo through Deafheaven's Bandcamp profile for ten cents.

The 12-minute intro to the four-song full-length 
album Roads to Judah, titled "Violet".

Touche Amore is another out-of-the-norm signing for Deathwish. I previously wrote about them in my blog about "The Wave," a new generation of post-hardcore bands who put more heart and soul into their music than any other musical genre/niche. With their second full-length album, Parting the Sea Between Brightness and Me (quite the mouthful), TA ease away from their more hardcore roots and deliver a very passionate 20-minute punk rock album.

Touche Amore's "Home Away from Here" from
their sophomore album Parting the Sea.

I've been aware of the group Heiress, but I didn't really know much about them. I knew they were from Seattle and they released a split with Narrows through Deathwish. I didn't know they were actually signed to Deathwish, I didn't know they were fronted by John Pettibone of Himsa, Undertow and Nineironspitfire, and I also didn't know they were really really good. They're reminiscent of the technical hardcore powerhouse Botch (who were also from Seattle, and Pettibone sang back up vocals on some of their songs) but a slightly more atmospheric version. They're releasing their debut full-length later this year, and I've never been more excited for a band I knew so little about.

Heiress' "Husk Worship" from their split
EP with Narrows.

But the list certainly doesn't stop there. These were just what I thought would be the highlights. Deathwish will also release a split EP between Converge and Dropdead, and a split EP between Victims and everyone's new favorite sludge metal band Kylesa. The label also recently signed Oathbreaker, and they're certainly getting some buzz, but I'm not too familiar with them. I'll have to check them out.

Stoked? Stoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment