Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I finally got around to Cave In's 'Until Your Heart Stops'

It's considered a landmark album in the late 90s hardcore scene. I'm a huge fan of everything else Cave In has done, in addition to all the other bands from the same era, so it's almost a crime that it took me this long to pick it up. I'm still trying to decide if I like it or not...


I first heard of Cave In in 2006 when they announced their break up. With the overwhelming response to their break, I decided to check them out beginning with their 2005 album Perfect Pitch Black. From there I believe I listened to their entire discography almost exactly backwards.

Cave In have one of the most diverse discographies I've ever seen. No two releases are alike. While I was trying to get to know them, it was honestly a joy to hear what the group would try to do with each new album I purchased.

As of last month, I only had about two EPs and their debut full length Until Your Heart Stops left before I heard everything Cave In officially released. But when Hyrda Head Records announced they were being forced to take down their digital store, and for one day only were going to release everything for $4 or less, I HAD TO jump on it. I actually splurged and picked up a bunch of albums for cheap, but that's a story for another day.

Cover art for 'Until Your Heart Stops'

Before picking up Until Your Heart Stops, I actually knew a lot about it. Within the scene of music I enjoy, it's widely recognized as one of the greatest albums of its time. I was also told:

  1. It's a prime example of mathcore.
  2. It's the heaviest album they've ever released.
  3. It's contrasting in sound to their follow-up album Jupiter.
  4. It's a major influence on modern metalcore.
However, I think a lot of these are misconceptions. I have already expressed my dislike for the term "mathcore," but I can confidently say this is nowhere near as technical as albums released by Cave In's peers. Most of the time it's pretty straight up punk and metal with some experimentation here and there.

As someone who has listened to all of Cave In's releases completely backwards, I actually hear a lot of space rock and Jupiter-sounding parts in Until Your Heart Stops. I know a lot of people felt betrayed when the group transitioned between these two albums, but listening to them backwards, it actually sounds like somewhat of a logical progression to me.

I also hear zero resemblance between Until Your Heart Stops and more modern metalcore. Modern metalcore all follows the same screamy verse/singy chorus/screamy verse/breakdown format that was beaten to death by 2005. This album is somewhat experimental with its song structures. It doesn't always conform to a set pattern, and I think that made it rather enjoyable.

The eight-minute track "The End of Our Rope Is a Noose"
which displays both Cave In's heavy side, and spacey side.

I think the biggest praise I can give this album is it's use of interludes and breaks. I listen to albums front to back, and it's difficult to listen to 40 minutes of straight hardcore metal. The bands that really stick out in this scene are the ones that can break it up a little bit and keep it exciting. We know you're heavy, but what else can you do? Cave In for sure show off their ability to show off their lighter talents in a way that makes sense on a face-melting hardcore album. This is largely evidenced in their "Segues" which is scattered throughout the album. I find it odd that Cave In never really did anything like that later on in their career--at least, not to this degree. That's something this year's White Silence was desperately lacking.

It's also incredible to see Cave In's progression from their early demos, which were all released on the compilation album Beyond Hypothermia. My god that album was boring, and I have no clue what Aaron Turner heard that I don't when he signed them to Hydra Head in the late 90s. Based on those demos, that was a really risky choice. But Cave In definitely prove themselves worthy with Until Your Heart Stops.

Unfortunately, I wasn't really blown away by the album. I think this was largely due to all the hype--I was really expecting something EPIC. It's pretty good, but just not what I was expecting. I'm hoping it will grow on me though. I'd definitely recommend it if anyone was in the same boat as me: knew the album was supposed to be good but never heard it, and also knew the rest of Cave In's material pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment