Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Prurient's 'Bermuda Drain'

I'm always amused when I discover a talented artist who's been around for over a decade, yet I've never heard of them. Apparently there's this guy named Ian Fernow who performs under the name Prurient and plays noisy electronic music. I've been a fan of noisy music for a while, so I'm surprised I've never heard of this solo artist before now.


While Deathwish may be enjoying their most successful year to date, Hydra Head is definitely struggling a little bit to get some releases out for 2011. So far it's been a bunch of vinyl reissues, some limited edition shit, Cave In's White Silence, and.... well not much else. So when I saw HH announce a new release, I thought I'd check it out just for kicks. That new album was Prurient's latest album titled Bermuda Drain.

Cover art for Bermuda Drain. Simple and sweet.

Electronica was never really my thing, but this is pretty enjoyable. It's kind of new wave-y, kind of industrial-y, kind of noisy, kind of ambient-y. All sorts of good stuff packed into one album. Sometimes the vocals are soft, other times they remind me a lot of Corey Taylor's Slipknot vocals. The song "Palm Tree Corpse" has a really ambient part where Fernow is screaming his head off which is reminiscent of Touche Amore.

I'm a little shocked Hydra Head would release something like this. To me, this label is all about really obscure and unique artists who play metal and/or hardcore. I'm not really familiar with anything HH has released that was this electronic-based. Maybe they were desperate to release something? I dunno, but it's definitely on par with HH's level of experimentation and musical freedom.

Doing some research on Prurient, it looks like this dude has released maybe 100+ albums/EPs/splits/other things since the late 90s on dozens of different record labels. This, combined with the dude's talent, makes it really shocking to me that I've never heard of him or his music before.

If I'm not mistaken, Bermuda Drain is out now, and you can hear a full stream of the album via The A.V. Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment