Sunday, October 27, 2013

My Theory on the New Black Flag Artwork

While I really don't like the cover art for Black Flag's What The... either, if I'm right about it's origins, I think at least some die-hard fans might hate it a little less.


It should be noted that the following is purely my own theory. Before posting this, I actively sought out an interview with Black Flag to see if I could get to the bottom of this art work, but returned empty handed. Due to the backlash, I'm sure Black Flag will be making a statement soon -- if not completely retract the art and try again.

Retracting cover art isn't completely unheard of; Saosin retracted the original artwork in 2009 for their album album In Search of Solid Ground.

Black Flag - What The...
Black Flag are largely credited as starting true punk. Before Black Flag, there was the Ramones, Sex Pistols and The Damned... but these were more rock-n-roll bands who played their music a little faster. Black Flag is usually seen as the first punk band to completely reject rock music's narrative and just play balls-to-the-wall, fast, aggressive punk music.

Black Flag also established the underground punk scene. I cannot recall which documentary (probably American Hardcore), but in it, Black Flag was credited as establishing tour routes for punk bands across America and causing the establishment of many of the original punk venues.

Fast forward 30 years, and the punk scene is very different -- worlds away from what Black Flag originally established. If Billie Joe Armstrong would have sang Green Day's "Oh Love" in 1984, Greg Ginn would have climbed on stage and punched him in the dick.

Green Day - Uno
Which brings me to my ultimate point here... I believe that the combination of the album's title, What The..., and the green cover art with the punk with pink hair (loosely reminiscent of Green Day's 2012 album, Uno) is supposed to be a statement on the climate of punk rock in 2013.

As such, I believe it's supposed to be a form of parody that's not meant to be taken seriously. I don't believe Black Flag is saying, "Look at this little guy with pink hair, isn't he badass?" I believe they're saying, "Look at this little guy with pink hair, doesn't he look like a fucking (American) idiot?"

Again, this is all speculation and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong if the band releases a statement to the contrary.

What do you think about the new artwork? Is it mean to be taken seriously or is it parody? Do you agree with my theory? Do you have your own theory about the story behind the artwork? Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment