Thursday, March 28, 2013

30-Second Samples of Howl's 'Bloodlines' and Coliseum's 'Sister Faith'

Amazon.com has 30-second samples of Howl's Bloodlines and Coliseum's Sister Faith. Read my thoughts on both after the jump!


Two bands with relatively small followings, but both of these releases should be anticipated albums of 2013 by anyone who likes heavy music.

[Samples of Howl] When Howl's Full of Hell was released in 2010, I bought it purely on a whim. But I'm very glad I did. I think Decibel gave it a good review and I was sold.

That album was probably the most doomy/sludgy/stonery album I heard at that point and I absolutely loved it. My only complaint was how relpetative the album got after a while.

By the sounds of these samples, Howl has diversified their music a little. I'm also picking up a hint of melodic death metal influences. A few songs sound very Darkest Hour or At the Gates. Anyone else hear this, or is it just me?

The vocals sound different too. New singer? I didn't hear anything about any line up changes that I can recall.

[Samples of Coliseum] This album sounds quite different from the Coliseum I remember. They used to be a little heavier and more in your face.

The samples of Sister Faith remind me a lot of Young Widow's In and out of Youth and Light, which is a good thing. It sounds like there's more of an indie/noise rock vibe. Coliseum's sound way more post-hardcore than hardcore on this album.

I haven't followed these guys too much lately. Was there a subtle transition into this new sound, or is this pretty random? Either way, I like what I'm hearing.

Both albums will be officially released on April 30, the former through Relapse Records and the latter though Temporary Resistance (who interestingly also released In and out of Youth and Light).

Below are full songs from these bands' upcoming albums. Share your thoughts in the comments below on these releases. Are you looking forward to them? Do they both seem too stylistically different from what you're used to form these artists?



No comments:

Post a Comment