Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Visit Deafheaven's 'Dream House'

A studio version of Deafheaven's new track "Dream House" has been posted online for your eargasm pleasure.


The new track is streaming on NPR right now.

First of all, can I just say NPR has been KILLING IT with exclusives in the past few years? They've gotten exclusive interviews or track premieres from tons of hardcore bands I would have never expected from NPR, like Code Orange Kids, Pg 99, Circle Takes the Sqaure and others. This has just been on my mind lately. Moving on.

"Dream House," the opening track on Sunbather, is really everything Deafheaven said it would be. The track is an expansion of the band's sound, and it's still heavy while also later blooming into a more atmospheric, less intense movement. While some of Deafheaven's older material felt a little cold and dark, this feels much warmer and welcoming. And even though I prefer darker music and was worried Deafheaven's supposed new "lush" sound would be too jarring of an experience, this tone shift doesn't feel too alienating.

Incredibly, it doesn't even feel like it's 9:14 long--I had to do a double take when I saw the track length after I had listened to the song. It does a great job of keeping the listener engaged the whole way through while still logically progressing.

According to the band's Facebook post, here's the lyrics to "Dream House":
Hindered by sober restlessness. Submitting to the amber crutch. The theme in my aching prose. Fantasizing the sight of Manhattan; that pour of a bitter red being that escapes a thin frame. The rebirth of mutual love. The slipping on gloves to lay tenderly. 
"I'm dying." 
- "Is it blissful?" 
"It's like a dream." 
- "I want to dream."
Sunbather comes out on June 11 through Deathwish. I'm expecting it to be huge, given the number of larger publications (Spin, NPR) who have been covering the album pre-release.

No comments:

Post a Comment