Thursday, August 2, 2012

New Cloudkicker album: 'Fade'

Delicious free (if you want) new music from everyone's favorite new mysterious prog-guru, Ben Sharp aka Cloudkicker.


Cover art for Fade.
I've been happily following this one-man group ever since 2010's Beacons came out. Never once have I been disappoint by something from this man (except I'll admit I was a little confused about what to make of last year's Loop).

Coinciding with Ben Sharp's birthday today, the man has released his latest offering Fade -- a seven-track [UPDATE - there's a short eighth track for those who purchase the album] full-length follow up to last year's Let Yourself Be Huge -- through Cloudkicker's Bandcamp site. Like the rest of his discography, Fade is being released as a pay-what-you-want.

I think I've dropped about $5 for all of Cloudkicker's full-lengths and maybe $3 for most of his EPs. Currently I'm just jamming to the stream, but later today when I'm on a more secure network other than a coffee shop I'll definitely be throwing some green Sharp's way.

As I've said before, I have a huge respect for what Bandcamp is doing. And I absolutely love what Cloudkicker is doing, so of course I'm going to toss a few bucks his way. And maybe I'll pick up a shirt this time around...

According to his blog, Fade was heavily influenced by 90s alt-rock with somewhat of a fuzzy guitar sound such as Smashing Pumpkins or Hum. That vibe is immediately apparent and quite enjoyable actually; especially since I too have been on a Hum binge.

It's a pretty chill vibe too. Think Let Yourself Be Huge with a little more oomph, but not quite The Discovery. It also has some pretty wide-open soundscapes that we all loved from Beacons.

I've only had time to listen to thing in full once, but I can tell it's already competing to be come my favorite Cloudkicker album.





What do you think of Fade? How does it stack up to Cloudkicker's other albums/EPs?

No comments:

Post a Comment