Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Predictions: Converge's 'All We Love We Leave Behind'

If you've been following along, I like to make predictions about upcoming albums based on very little evidence. Sometimes I'm spot on, other times I'm way off. But I have fun doing it either way! Here's what I think about Converge's All We Love We Leave Behind today -- which still hasn't yet been officially announced by their label.


Promo shot for All We Love We Leave Behind.
  • First let's talk about Epitaph Records' release schedule. Take a look at their list of upcoming albums. Their fall schedule looks booked with one or two releases each Tuesday. The not-officially-confirmed-but-probably-official release date of October 9 seems highly likely since Epitaph release something almost every Tuesday, and the ninth as yet to be claimed. Also, because Epitaph seem to like to have 4-5 upcoming releases "in the chamber" -- or promoted and announced upcoming albums -- at a single time, I believe All We Love We Leave Behind will be properly announced with a press release and album artwork and the whole shebang next Monday or Tuesday. Epitaph currently has 5 releases "in the chamber", but two are being released today, so next week they'll have a spot to fill.
  • Jacob Bannon's illustration for the
    cover of The Boston Phoenix,
     which was also used for their
    fall tour poster.
  • Let's talk artwork. I could really see this going a couple different ways. First, vocalist and illustrator Jacob Bannon recently designed the cover of The Boston Phoenix's "Metal Issue" which can be seen to the right. It features what this not-so-artistically-inclined-writer believes to be water colors in somewhat of a spacey pattern (Omega Nebula, anyone?). Could this be the cover for All We Love We Leave Behind? Unlikely, but possible. However, I think after The Jane Project, I'd imagine Bannon is sick of female silhouettes and probably wouldn't want to be seen as a one-trick pony. But we also have Bannon's recent trend of using what appear to be nude goddesses on their split with Napalm Death and split with Dropdead. But my money is actually on one of their recent t-shirt designs. I believe the sound of this album will be quite different (more on that ahead), and as such I'd expect a different style of artwork. Converge also usually have merchandise based on some of their songs. So I think this t-shirt design might be a more accurate idea of what we can expect, if not it could be the actual artwork. However, Bannon recently released this image on Instagram, which alludes to some sort of painting, which may or may not be the cover for AWLWLB.
  • Let's talk track listing. Pretty sure I read that Converge's recent string of singles ("On My Shield", "Runaway" and "No Light Escapes") will make it on the album. Other tentative song titles include "Empty on the Inside", "Aimless Arrow" and "Shame in the Way". AWLWLB will include at least 12 songs, one of which will be an instrumental interlude before the title track, and according an email sent out from Decibel, different formats will carry different bonus tracks -- something I find particularly annoying.
  • Let's talk about what it will sound like. There's a lot of evidence that this album will deviate from from the norm. An interview with Kurt Ballou (from I think last summer? I'm having trouble finding it) revealed that Converge was inspired by the discography of the Melvins, who (very rough quote from memory here) "release really different-sounding albums in between monumental albums." In other words, Converge wanted to do a little experimenting with their sound -- something I completely welcome. If Axe to Fall is comparable to Jane Doe, then I believe AWLWLB will be comparable to You Fail Me. In support of the hardcore album Axe to Fall, Converge toured with the hardcore bands Coalesce, GAZA, Lewd Acts and Black Breath. In support of AWLWLB, Converge is touring with... Torche and Kvelertak -- two bands who play pretty straight forward rock music with elements of doom and sludge. Are these bands meant to compliment the new material? While Converge's recent string of singles have more or less maintained the status quo, some of the songs the band has been playing live have been pretty different. The song "Aimless Arrow" actually has Bannon singing like he did in most of "Lonewolves" over some relatively lite proggy mathy rock music until the end.
  • Will it be awesome? Well, I previously hypothesized that Epitaph was doing some neat things by getting some of their bands to release a "throwback" or "back-to-our-roots" album, followed by a truly incredible album. Axe to Fall had a pretty strong Jane Doe vibe, so AWLWLB should be as awesome as follow up albums by Thursday and Every Time I Die. I really don't want to get my hopes up too high, but I genuinely think this will be a near-perfect album. We will have to see.
What do you think the album will sound like? Am I way off base here with my guesses?

No comments:

Post a Comment